Tuesday Talks is a short talk 1.10pm to 1.40pm most Tuesdays. It's a friendly, relaxed opportunity to explore modern issues through the lens of faith.
For more events in the city, visit the ChaplaincyPlus website. Recordings of previous talks can be found below, along with bible passages and other resources.
A city like ours
The Reverend Canon Nigel Hand (07 October) Listen here
The Reverend Canon Nigel Hand (02 October) Listen here
The Reverend Canon Nigel Hand (25 September) Listen here
Who listens to Sermons anymore?
Upside-down values (20 September) - listen here
- Portraits of Charles Simeon
- Information about Charles Simeon
- Anonymous advice
- The beatitudes from the gospel of Matthew
- The 'negative' 'worldly' or 'opposite' beatitudes
- The Message version of the beatitudes
Out of the salt-shaker (27 September) - Listen Here
The long arm of the Law (4 October) - Listen Here
- Sam Allberry's twitter account
- Jesus' speaks about anger
- A modern paraphrase of Paul's letter to the Ephesians about anger
- Boiling Point a report by the Mental Health Organisation about the problem of anger
- Chapter 15 of the book of Proverbs
- The book Psalms as tools for prayer
Affairs of the heart... (18 October) - Listen Here
Let your ‘yes’ be ‘yes’ and your ‘no’ be ‘no’ (25 October) - Listen Here
The great giveaway (1 November) - audio coming soon
Don’t tell a soul (8 November) - Listen Here
The Lord’s Prayer (15 November) - Listen Here
Hungry for life (22 November) - audio coming soon
You’ve gotta serve somebody (29 November) - audio coming soon
Tuesday Talks Carol Service (6 December) - ALL WELCOME!
'A line in the sand'
No experience of life is ever wasted (31 May 2016) - listen here
- Chapter 1 of the book of Daniel
Daydream believer? (7 June 2016) - listen here
- Chapter 2 of the book of Daniel
- Some resources to help you think through the EU referendum from a Christian perspective: Christian Action, Research and Education, Christians in Politics, Evangelical Alliance, Reimagining Europe, Theos, Jubilee Centre, The Kirby Laing Institute for Christian Ethics, Churches Together in Britain and Ireland
- The book The Queen and the King she serves (available from the cathedral)
- For the Glory, the biography of Eric Liddell
To whom will you bow? (21 June 2016) - listen here
- Chapter 3 of the book of Daniel
Out of the mouths of... Kings! (28 June 2016) - listen here
- Chapter 4 of the book of Daniel
- More information about the Birmingham Prayer Breakfast 2016
- Election Advice from John Wesley, 1774
- Six things the Lord hates... from the Book of Proverbs
- The Lord alone will be exalted... from the Book of Isaiah
- Unless you change and become like children... from the Gospel of Matthew
- Nigel Farage's speech to the European Parliament
And the writing's on the wall... (5 July 2016) - listen here
- Chapter 5 of the book of Daniel
- Rembrandt's painting Belshazzar's Feast
- Footage of the Iceland Football Team's homecoming
Dare to be a Daniel (12 July 2016) - listen here
- Chapter 6 of the book of Daniel
- Subscribe to the ChaplaincyPlus mailing list
- Tony Benn's autobiography, Dare to be a Daniel
- Lyrics to the song 'Dare to be a Daniel'
- Daniel 3:18 'Even if He doesn't...'
- A short article about Eric Liddell, Olympic runner
- The Open Doors World Watch List of countries where Christians are persecuted
- Romans 12:1-2 from the J B Philips Paraphrase of the New Testament
'Seven deadly sins'
Pride (12 April 2016) - listen here
- Dealing with Pride by Graham Tomlin
- A series by the Guardian on the Panama Papers leak
- An interview with Rabbi Dr Jonathan Romain in the Telegraph about Justin Welby
- A video from BBC news of Dennis Skinner being asked to leave the House of Commons for calling David Cameron "Dodgy Dave"
- Mere Christianity a book by C S Lewis
- The Reign of King Uzziah from the second book of Chronicles
- Jesus washes the disciples' feet from John's Gospel
- Six things the Lord hates from the book of proverbs
Envy (19 April 2016) - listen here
Anger (26 April 2016) - sorry, this talk wasn't recorded due to a technical issue
Gluttony (3 May 2016) - sorry, this talk wasn't recorded due to a technical issue
Lust (10 May 2016) - listen here
- James Wallman's book Stuffocation: Living More with Less
- Richard Foster's book Money, Sex and Power
- Jesus' words on adultery from Matthew's Gospel (and the same story from the Message version)
- The story of David and Bathsheba from the book of Samuel
- Stephen Covery's book 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
Greed (17 May 2016) - listen here
- The Christian Aid website
- Peter J Kreeft's book Back to Virtue
- An article by Christine Hoover about the greed of social media
- The Parable of the Rich Fool from John's Gospel
- Psalm 103
Sloth (24 May 2016) - listen here
'Come and See'
Come and See someone who is full of Grace and Truth (19 January 2016) - listen here.
- The prologue of John's Gospel
- The purpose of John's Gospel
- Nine New Year’s Resolutions for Busy People, a blog post by Stephen Cherry
- The Light Has Come: An exposition of the fourth Gospel by Lesslie Newbigin
- Drawn into the Mystery of Jesus through the Gospel of John by Jean Vanier
Come and See someone who is worth hearing about (26 January 2016) - listen here.
- Twenty things the Church of England has done for us, an article in the guardian
- The Testimony of John the Baptist from John's Gospel
- The Lamb of God from John's Gospel
- Gert Behanna's testimony about the first time she went to Church
Come and See someone who is worth following (2 February 2016) - listen here.
- Find an alpha group near you.
- 11 things you did not and will not learn in school!
- The First Disciples of Jesus from John's Gospel
- Jesus Calls Philip and Nathanael from John's Gospel
- Out of Bounds: Story of Malcolm Worsley, Prisoner to Probation Officer
- The book of Psalms
- I Was A Stranger by Adrian Snell
Come and See someone who makes sense out of non-sense (16 February 2016) - listen here.
- A digest of the reaction to a tweet offering prayers for Richard Dawkins
- News from General Synod on the Evangelism debate
- Meaning of Life: Revelations, Reflections and Insights from All Walks of Life by Jonathan Gabay
- We Will All Go Together When We Go by Tom Lehrer
- Nicodemus Visits Jesus from John's Gospel
- Surprised by Joy by C S Lewis
- The Nicene Creed
Come and See someone who is well connected (23 February 2016) - listen here.
- The last words of Steve Jobs.
- The Pink Floyd song Time.
- The story of Jesus and the Woman of Samaria from John's Gospel.
Come and See someone who knows a lot (8 March 2016) - listen here.
- Jesus heals an official's son from John's Gospel.
- The website for the film Risen.
- The spoof advert for Me Church.
- The Archbishop of Canterbury's talk to the New Wine Conference.
Come and See someone who is at work (15 March 2016) - listen here.
- Lent for Busy People – Six New Ideas a blog post by Stephen Cherry
- Jesus heals on the Sabbath from John's Gospel
- The Simon and Garfunkel song I am a rock.
Come and See someone who has answers (22 March 2016) - listen here.
- The Provocative Church by Graham Tomlin
- The song Looking East by Jackson Browne
- The Rivers of Living Water from John's Gospel
- Teaching a Stone to Talk: Expeditions and Encounters by Annie Dillard
- The Church of England report Talking Jesus
- The Crucifixion of Jesus from John's Gospel (verse 28 is where Jesus says 'I am thirsty')
Read an article about Tuesday Talks on birminghameastside.
Come and celebrate the wonderful diversity in the city and the UK with our 'Being Built Together' ...Read
CONCERT - Frank Oidtmann (Organ) Evangelisches Stift, Tübingen, Germany. Organ music by Marcel Dupre, JS Bach and ...Read