|Job Title||Organ Scholar|
|Reporting to||Director of Music|
|Hours of Work||11.5 hours per week (flexibility essential) at a time to be agreed by your line manager|
|Location||Birmingham Cathedral, Birmingham City Centre|
|Line Management Responsibility||May act as a Choir Chaperone|
Please click here for the application form
The Music Department is managed by the Director and Assistant Director of Music, overseen by the Canon Liturgist.The Cathedral Choir consists of separate boy and girl choristers, lay clerks and choral scholars (male and female).Services are sung on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and twice on Sunday.There are rehearsals on Monday and Thursday.Every three weeks our voluntary choir sings a Eucharist at Wednesday lunchtime.The Cathedral Choir has undertaken many tours, broadcasts regularly on Radio 3 and has just released a new CD.Our fine 4-manual organ was rebuilt by Nicholsons in 1992-93.
Outline of Duties
The Organ Scholar will be expected to accompany services, play voluntaries, supervise choristers, assist the Director of Music and his Assistant in various ways including administrative work, and otherwise learn by observation at rehearsals and services. Depending on the skills of the Organ Scholar, he/she may be asked to do some singing and/or choir training/directing, but neither is an essential part of the duties. There may also be the opportunity for some recital work.
Note: This description is not intended to establish a total definition of the role
The person selected for this role will:
- have an understanding of and sympathy for the Christian life and ethos of the Cathedral;
- have demonstrated ability as an accompanist and solo performer;
- be able to establish good working relationships with colleagues, and work as part of a team in the Music Department and wider Cathedral Community.
Terms and Conditions
- The Organ Scholar may be required to be on duty at all choral services, including the periods up to and including Christmas and Easter.
- The Organ Scholar may be required to play for extra services, for which a fee may be payable.
- The Organ Scholar is appointed by the Director of Music, who has delegated responsibility for the music department from the Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral.
- The Cathedral is a working church, open every day for visitors. All Cathedral staff are expected to be sensitive to the needs of those coming to the Cathedral for worship and prayer.
- Safeguarding: The Organ Scholar will hold a position of trust within the Cathedral, and will be responsible for direct supervision of the children of the Choir. Appointment to this post is subject to a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure Certificate. Birmingham Cathedral is committed to prioritising the safety of children and vulnerable adults. As such the post holder will be required to work with their colleagues to make sure that the Cathedral’s Safeguarding Policy is observed at all times and report immediately any concerns or issues they may have that threaten the safety or welfare of any child within the care of the Cathedral.
For detailed information on the rhythm of sung services, please click here.
Cathedral Choir Vacancies
Lay Clerks - ALTO(m/f) & TENOR, range £4,360 to £6,541 p a
Choral Scholarships - see below
Canon Marcus Huxley, the director of music, is always pleased to hear of people interested in joining any of the Cathedrals choirs.
Please email email@example.com or call Canon Marcus Huxley, Director of Music, on 0121 262 1846.
If you would like to apply for a paid position, please send your CV and the relevant application form. More information about the choir is available here.